Certification is the professional membership grade. Certified Members use the designation CMIRM and can use the title Certified Risk Professional after their name, giving them an instantly recognisable badge of professionalism that denotes technical competence, broad experience and a commitment to professional development.
As a Certified Member, you commit to meeting the highest standards of behaviour, integrity and ethics by following our Professional Code of Conduct and to abiding by the requirements of our Continuing Professional Development scheme.
There are two routes to Certified Membership:
- Via professional exams and work experience
- Via assessment of your senior executive experience
Professional exams and work experience
To become certified via this route, you will need to demonstrate that you have completed:
- The International Diploma in Enterprise Risk Management or its equivalent via exemptions or the accreditation of prior learning
- A minimum of three years' practical experience in a risk role
- A minimum of 30 hours per year of CPD activities in the year leading up to application
Senior executive route
If you hold a senior strategic and decision-making risk role and have a minimum of 8 years' relevant experience you may be eligible to apply for Certified Membership by experience via the Senior Executive Route. This route assesses the understanding of the theory and practice of risk management you have gained in your career by way of a 90-minute interview, based on details of your provided in an application form and CV.
Once you have held the CMIRM designation for 2 years and have at least 8 years risk management experience, you may apply to become a Certified Fellow.