Meets throughout the year to host special events for IRM members.
For all enquiries please contact email@example.com
Topic to be confirmed
|Date:||Thursday 10 October 2019|
|Time:||13:15 - 16:30|
|Location:||Ecclesiastical Insurance, 24 Monument St, London EC3R 8AJ|
Click here to book
If you are interested in managing regulatory risk, please hold this date and time as our next seminar event will introduce our guides on regulatory risk management and assurance. As usual, the event will include an interactive session to gain your insights and to demonstrate how the guides can help on a practical level. We should also expect to hear from a regulator (or two) about their thoughts on the topic and a peer about how they have tackled this subject.
Establishing a positive risk culture
|Date:||Thursday 23 May 2019|
|Location:||Lloyd’s of London, 1 Lime St, London EC3M 7HA – Hopper Room, Lloyd’s Lab|
This seminar will launch the two guides we have issued on regulatory risk management and assurance, as well as hear from regulators and provide members with the opportunity to engage practically with the processes outlined in the publications.
Risk Culture Lloyd's slides: click here
IRM SIG Culture Seminar slides: click here
Implementing the Three Lines of Defence (3LOD) model - the challenges webinar
Tuesday 30 April 2019
The webinar is now on-demand, should you like to view it again. Use the link below to enter the webinar at any time.
What we do
The IRM Risk Special Interest Group was established over 10 years ago to provide practical guidance for charities about managing risk and opportunities for sharing knowledge, tips and best practice amongst sector professionals. Our overall aim is to increase the sector's knowledge of risk management best practice, explore practical solutions for managing sector challenges (such as new regulation requirements), and provide a forum where risk professionals can meet to learn from one another and share up to date risk management practice.
How IRM's Charities Group helps organisations manage their risks
Watch the video below to hear Alyson Pepperill give insights into IRM's Charities Special Interest Group (SIG).
In 2019, the SIG will mirror a theme that we see in the wider sector, which is an enhanced emphasis on creating a positive culture, which supports the early identification and management of risks, both internally as well as from external factors.
We have seen SIG members and others across the sector highlighting that a positive culture helps to protect people and a charity’s reputation, avoid negative media scrutiny, and embed effective risk management.
In recent years, to quote Rumsfeld we have seen the “known unknowns” such as fundraising regulation; safeguarding and GDPR dominate resources in order to comply with new legislation or emerging sector issues. We believe that having a positive culture and an integrated approach to risk management i.e. considered as part of ‘day-to-day’ decision making rather than sitting as a separate discipline, will lead to ‘business as usual’ risks being managed within day-to-day work.
This will help to potentially free up capacity and capability, as well as increase awareness and positivity around risk management and a greater understanding across the organisation that good risk management equates to good management.
The SIG is keen to engage with smaller charities and we are starting a research project to understand how we can achieve this ongoing aim. Part of this work will assess whether we need to engage with more trustees and how to do this effectively.
2019 events plan
We have traditionally aimed to hold four main seminar style events and we intend to continue this in 2019. However, we are also going to aspire to add to this two webinar and/or podcasts, and two round table events.
Below is an outline of the half-day seminar events with dates and venues to be confirmed.
- First Quarter event: 22nd January
- Topics: Cyber Event – Part Two. The event featured speakers on managing cyber risk; insurance and cyber claims that are being paid; and how charities are tackling the people and process risks that accompany cyber exposures.
- Second Quarter event: date April TBA
- Topics: Balancing ‘day to day’ risk management with managing the ‘top’ risk of the moment.
- Third Quarter event: TBA
- Topics: Regulatory risk and assurance – launching the recently published and future publications on this subject.
- Fourth Quarter event: TBA
- Topics: Workforce and People Management.
Our intention is to hold two lively topic based webinars and/or podcasts (dates to be confirmed):
- First Half: Three Lines of Defence – does it work?
- Half Two: How does audit and risk work together?
In addition, we intend to hold two or three round table events (dates to be confirmed) on the topics below:
- Managing your reputation
- Managing Uncertainty
We will continue to issue publications. Work is already underway on our main publication for 2019 on Regulatory Risk Assurance. Two others are planned for mini publications:
- Risk Deep Dive
- Top Risks
How to join the IRM Charity Risk SIG
If you want to learn more about risk management and how the sector manages it, if you want to share your knowledge and learn from your peers, or if you simply want to keep in touch with what’s happening then please join our mailing list where we will ensure that you receive invitations to our events, copies of our publications when launched, and our newsletters.
SIG in the News
- Stakeholder Charity Finance Article - Anita Punwani (September 2018)
- Risk Deep Dive Charity Finance Article - Roberta Beaton (September 2018)
IRM Charities SIG practical guides
- IRM free guidance for charities and voluntary organisations
- Tools for stakeholder mapping (2018)
- Technology and cyber security: Tackling the risks (2019)
Getting started with risk management
- Risk Management for charities: getting started flyer (updated June 2018)
- Risk Management for charities: getting started guide (updated June 2018)
- Risk management for charities: Getting better (February 2017) - presentation
- 'Getting Started' presentations
- Charities SIG Risk Maturity Framework
- Risk management for charities: Setting your risk appetite (February 2017) - presentation
- 'Setting the risk appetite' flyer
- 'Setting the risk appetite' guide
Risk and Regulation
Visit MyIRM for more information and to download presentations from previous meetings.